The mere mention of the word ‘Briyani’ is enough to water your mouth. The use of different spices and alternating layers of vegetables and rice make it a fascinating dish. This dish originated somewhere in Turkey or Persia and was brought to India by the merchants. It was introduced to the Mughals, who adopted it and gradually it spread to the other parts of India.
Now, take a look at the recipe of Vegetable Briyani, which we have customized a little so as to present you something new in Briyani.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE RICE
• Rice 1 and 1/2 glass
• Green Cardamom 3
• Black Cardamom 3
• Clove 3-4 pieces
• Cinnamon 1 inch long
• Bay leaves 2
• Water 3 glasses
INGREDIENTS FOR THE VEGETABLE GRAVY
SLICED JACK FRUIT CHOPPED VEGETABLES
• Unripe jackfruit (small sliced pieces) 1 bowl
• Cauliflower 7-8 florets
• Potato 1
• Carrot 1
• French beans 1 cup
• Peas 1/2 cup
• Onion sliced 1 and 1/2
• Green chili 1-2
• Ginger paste 2 tbsp
• Caraway seeds 1 tsp
• Green cardamom 2
• Cloves 2
• Cinnamon 1 inch
• Bay leaf 1
• Whisked yogurt 100 gm
• Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
• Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
• Clarified butter 3 tbsp
• Salt to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BRIYANI TEMPERING
- Mint leaves (finely chopped) 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves (finely chopped) 1/2 cup
- Saffron 1/2 tsp
- Milk 1 tbsp
- Whisked yogurt 100 gm
- Grated cottage cheese for garnishing
METHOD OF PREPARATION OF BRIYANI
Preparing the Briyani involves usage of different spices and ingredients as it undergoes different procedures. So, start step wise so that nothing goes amiss.
STEP 1: PREPARING THE RICE
• Soak rice in water for 30 minutes with the spices. Now boil the rice in about 3 glasses of water. Cook rice to one third potency.
• Drain excess water and keep the fluffy rice aside until you prepare the vegetable gravy.
STEP 2: PREPARING THE VEGETABLE GRAVY
• Put clarified butter in a flat bottom pressure cooker or in a pan.
• Put caraway seeds followed by all the dry spices. Put the jack fruit and sauté it well until golden brown.
• Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder and all the chopped vegetables. Add onion, green chili, garlic and ginger paste and sauté it well.
• Now add the yogurt and cover it with a lid and let the vegetables cook for ten minutes on a low flame. Keep aside the cooked vegetables and prepare the tempering
STEP 3: PREPARING THE BRIYANI TEMPERING
- Mix saffron in little hot milk so that it dissolves fully. Let it cool
- Mix it with yogurt and keep it aside.
STEP 4: PREPARING THE BRIYANI
• In a pressure cooker put a little Clarified butter. Put a bay leaf, cinnamon and black cardamom. Now put little amount of vegetable gravy and spread it evenly in the cooker then put a layer of boiled rice on top of it and spread it.
• Similarly, spread the vegetable layer and then the rice layer one over the other. Then spread the mint leaves, and coriander leaves on the top.
• Lastly, spread the saffron curd over it. Cover the cooker with a tight lid and cook for five minutes on a low flame.
• Heat the tava and keep the pressure cooker on this hot tava and let it cook on a low flame (Dum) for twenty minutes.
• Briyani is ready. Garnish with cottage cheese and mint leaves. Serve it hot with plain curd and enjoy the aroma and the flavours of excellence.